Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dream Recall 1

I was doing my normal rounds on the internet like usual, until I came to a architectural photo. I didn't think much of it, other than that it had a link to the Top 10 Modern Architects. I decided I wanted to see more and among those photos was this one, of Tom Wright's iconic building in Dubai.


I am very familiar with this image, having seen it numerous times before. However, I've never been here, nor do I recall ever being in or around such a beautiful building. Then why did this photo suddenly 'cause a flashback of a memory?


Upon seeing this image I remembered a dream. It was an old dream, though it wasn't particularly significant to me in terms of symbolism or subconscious worries. So I didn't write anything about it or store it in long-term memory. In fact, this was the first time I had ever seen this particular image and the same thought ran through my mind when seeing this as when I had the dream. Why is there a tennis court on the roof? What happens if you over shoot?

But the bizarre-ness of the tennis court not-withstanding, why is it that these images seem so familiar in a personal recalling sense rather than in an impersonal cultural awareness one? That is to say, why does it feel like I've been here rather than it being an instance of just understanding what I am seeing as something new? I've never been to Dubai, and not considering the dream, never have I been to vertigo inducing tennis court.

I find it so fascinating that my mind seems to travel the world when it is 'at rest'. Though I wish I were able to make actual conscious choices about my dream travel. I guess I shall be repeating 'Rome' before I go to sleep now. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment